Posted 19 Apr 2023
For centuries women have been taught to view their menstrual cycles as something to be hidden, ashamed of, or simply endured. They’ve been told that it is dirty, unhygienic and something to be kept clean. Yet, menstruation is a fundamental aspect of our feminine physiology and one that brings us tremendous insight, creativity, and strength when we learn to honour it.
Honouring your menstrual cycle means embracing the natural ebb and flow of your hormonal and emotional states throughout the month, and using this knowledge to cultivate self-care, creativity, and a deeper connection with ourselves. It means unlearning the societal norms that tell us to hide, manage and ignore our menstrual cycles and “keep on pushing through” The society that tells us to fit into a world that only honours one half of the whole. The half that tells us only growing, doing and productivity matter but, regeneration, decay, rest do not, and instead we embrace our cycle as a source of feminine wisdom and power.
In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the ways in which you can honour your menstrual cycle and the benefits that doing so can bring.
Understanding Your Menstrual Cycle
Before we delve into the benefits of honouring your menstrual cycle, it’s important to learn how our menstrual cycle works.
The menstrual cycle is a complex interplay of hormonal fluctuations that occur over approximately 28 days (although this can vary from person to person). The cycle is divided into several distinct phases:
- Menstruation: The first day of bleeding marks the beginning of the menstrual cycle.
- Follicular Phase: This phase begins on the first day of bleeding and lasts until ovulation. During this phase, the body prepares for ovulation by producing follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), which stimulates the growth of follicles in the ovaries.
- Ovulation: This is the point in the menstrual cycle when an egg is released from the ovary, ready to be fertilised by sperm.
- Luteal Phase: This phase begins after ovulation and lasts until the start of the next menstrual cycle. During this phase, the body prepares for a potential pregnancy by producing progesterone, which thickens the uterine lining.
Each of these phases is associated with different hormonal, emotional and energetic states, and understanding these fluctuations can help us to better care for ourselves throughout the month.
Honouring Your Menstrual Cycle: The Benefits
Now that we understand how our menstrual cycle works, let’s explore some of the ways in which honouring it can benefit us:
- Improved Self-Care: By tuning in to your menstrual cycle and the emotional and physical states that accompany each phase, you can better care for yourself throughout the month. For example, during the luteal phase (which is often associated with premenstrual symptoms), you might prioritise rest, self-care activities like meditation or yoga, and nourishing foods that support hormonal balance. During the follicular phase (which is often associated with increased energy and creativity), you might prioritise physical activity, socialising, and creative pursuits.
- Increased Creativity: Many women find that their menstrual cycle is closely tied to their creative energy. By honouring your cycle and allowing yourself to rest and recharge during the luteal phase, you may find that you have more energy and inspiration during the follicular phase. Similarly, by embracing the introspection and reflection that often accompanies menstruation, you may be able to tap into deeper wells of creativity and insight.
- Better Productivity: By understanding the ebb and flow of your energy throughout the month, you can better manage your time and productivity. For example, during the luteal phase, you may find that you need more rest and downtime, and can therefore adjust your schedule to accommodate this. Similarly, during the follicular phase, you may find that you have more energy and focus, and can therefore tackle more challenging tasks. Tracking your cycle and working with your menstrual cycle can be extremely beneficial when running a business but we will save this for another blog.
- Increased Connection to Your Body: For many women, menstruation is a time when they feel disconnected from their bodies or ashamed of their physicality. By honouring your menstrual cycle, you can cultivate a deeper connection to your body and embrace the unique rhythms and needs of your feminine physiology. This can lead to greater self-acceptance, self-love, and body positivity.
- Improved Relationships: Honouring your menstrual cycle can also have a positive impact on your relationships. By communicating your needs and boundaries throughout the month, you can help your loved ones understand and support you better. For example, if you know that you tend to feel more sensitive or introverted during menstruation, you can communicate this to your partner or friends and ask for their support and understanding.
Honouring Your Menstrual Cycle: Practical Tips
Now that we’ve explored the benefits of honouring your menstrual cycle, let’s dive into some practical tips for doing so:
- Start Tracking: The first step in honouring your menstrual cycle is to track it. There are many apps and tools available for this, but a simple calendar or notebook will suffice. Use a calendar or notebook to note the start and end dates of your period, and mark the phases of your cycle as you move through them. Take some time to tune in to your body and emotions throughout the month and what the insights your body is whispering to you are.
- Learn to Listen: Once you’ve started tracking your cycle, take some time to tune in to your body and emotions throughout the month. Notice how your energy levels, mood, and physical sensations change during each phase. This can help you to identify patterns and better understand your unique needs throughout the month.
- Prioritise Self-Care: Use the insights you gain from tracking and tuning into your cycle to prioritise self-care activities that support your physical and emotional well-being. This might include things like meditation, yoga, massage, or nourishing foods.
- Adjust Your Schedule: As we’ve discussed, the different phases of your menstrual cycle are associated with different energy levels and focus. Use this knowledge to adjust your schedule and productivity throughout the month. For example, you might tackle more challenging tasks during the follicular phase when your energy is high, and prioritize rest and reflection during the luteal phase.
- Communicate Your Needs: Finally, don’t be afraid to communicate your needs and boundaries to those around you. Let your partner, friends, and colleagues know when you’re feeling more sensitive or need more downtime. This can help you to feel more supported and understood throughout the month.
In conclusion, honouring your menstrual cycle is a powerful way to embrace your feminine energy and cultivate greater self-care, creativity, and connection. By tracking your cycle, tuning in to your body and emotions, and prioritising self-care, you can better understand your unique needs throughout the month and use this knowledge to live a more fulfilling, balanced life. So go ahead, embrace your menstrual cycle, and tap into the wisdom and power of your feminine rhythm!
If you would love to delve deeper into your feminine wisdom and learn more ways you can cultivate a deeper connection with yourself as you journey from Maiden to Mother. Book in for your Complimentary Matrescence session here or learn more about the Maiden to Mother Coaching here
Great App to track your feminine wisdom and cycles “Spinning Wheels App”
Journal and Cycle Tracking: https://janehardwickecollings.com/product/thirteen-moons-a-cycle-charting-handbook-journal/